Tours / Events
Tours of Northern Clay CenterNorthern Clay Center offers tours of its facility to groups of all ages. Tours are free of charge and are a fun way to learn about the process of making ceramic art, the techniques and equipment used and the programs offered by the Clay Center.
Tours of the facility include a history of the Clay Center and its mission, and guided walks through the current exhibitions, classrooms, glazing areas, studio spaces and kiln room, and sales gallery. Your group will see work from various artists and gain an understanding of the process of creating and firing clay objects.
Tours can be tailored to meet your group’s needs. Tour topics include:
- Introduction to NCC: receive an overview of the Clay Center; review the current exhibitions, see pots in the sales gallery; learn about the firing process; view artists at work in their studios
- Exhibition-focused tours: spend more time looking at and learning about the current exhibition and receive information on exhibiting artists
- Clay 101: learn about the entire process – from wet clay to the final object
An artist demonstration on the potter’s wheel is also available at a charge of $35 per 25-minute demonstration.
We request three weeks advance notice to schedule tours or demonstrations. Please contact NCC at 612.339.8007 for more information or to schedule a tour or wheel demonstration.
Downloadable tour information
Guidelines for visiting Northern Clay Center
Directions and Parking Information for Tour Groups
Northern Clay Center Tour Scheduling Information & Guidelines
Birthday Parties, Scout Meetings, Special Occasions for all ages
Celebrate your special event with a creative and memorable hands-on experience at Northern Clay Center. Our clay events encourage people of all ages to develop their imaginations and are a wonderful introduction to the rewards of making art. Participants learn basic handbuilding and glazing techniques to make something that will be a permanent reminder of the event. Great for birthday parties, scout meetings, play groups and homeschool groups.
All of our instructors are professional artists who have extensive experience teaching groups of all ages. Artworks are left at the Clay Center to be fired and can be picked up about two weeks after the event.
Event RoomWe have a large event room for serving cake and other refreshments, plus a refrigerator and microwave.
Potential projects include:
- Ages 6-8: masks, island or village, finger puppets, vases, tiles
- Ages 8 and up: mugs, birdhouses, figures/animals, critter jars, treasure boxes, planters, miniatures, holiday themed projects
- For wheel-throwing events, ALL participants must be age 9 and up.
- Corporate team-building groups: collaborative cups, ‘me’ boxes, picture frames, logo tiles, business-related sculptures, desk accessories
- Two-hour handbuilding event, up to 10 participants: $175; each additional participant: $15.
- Three-hour wheel-throwing event, up to 10 participants: $250; each additional participant: $15.
We require a $50 deposit to hold your reserved date. The full amount of the deposit will be refunded if the event is canceled up to one week before the event. No refunds will be given with less than one-week notice. Full payment is due at the time of the event.