McKnight Artist Residency for Ceramic Artists
The McKnight Artist Residency for Ceramic Artists program provides exceptional mid-career ceramic artists with an opportunity to be in residence for three months at Northern Clay Center. Up to four, 3-month residencies are awarded each year.
Each resident artist will receive a $6,000 award, studio space provided at no cost, and a glaze and firing allowance. Artists also present a public lecture, and are featured in a catalogue and group exhibition at Northern Clay Center.
Applications are due Friday, May 21, 2021, by 5 pm CT.
This program is made possible by the generous support of the McKnight Foundation, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- You cannot be a resident of Minnesota
- You must be a ceramic artist. Your work may be either functional or sculptural in nature. Your work may incorporate other materials, but must be primarily ceramic.
- Are mid-career with a body of work that demonstrates a sustained level of accomplishment, commitment, and artistic excellence.
- Can only apply to one McKnight Artist Fellowship in any artistic discipline within a year.
- Have not been a recipient of a McKnight Artist Fellowship within any artistic discipline in the last five years.
- Demonstrate growth and ongoing artistry since their most recent McKnight Artist Fellowship.
- Are not staff, board, or immediate family of the McKnight Foundation or fellowship administrative partners.
- Are not enrolled full-time in an academic program.
Applications are due Friday, May 21, 2021, by 5 pm.
Applications will be reviewed by a three-member panel, which will select recipients on the basis of perceived artistic excellence and demonstrated professional achievement, using artist statements as support material. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of the selection process shortly after the jury convenes.
There is no fee to apply. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Please label and format all documents as follows:
- Written documents should be submitted as pdfs and should include your name at the top of each page.
- Images must be submitted as jpgs or pngs, 1500 px on the shortest side and 300 ppi. DO NOT include your name on your images.
- Format all file names as LastNameFirstInitialDocument.xxx (i.e. LongleySResume.pdf or LongleySImage1.jpg).
The following materials must be submitted online:
- Residency Proposal, Budget, and Outcome (maximum of 3 pages, formatted as a PDF). Please include a detailed description of your goals or projects for the proposed residency and budget for any necessary supplies or equipment. See sample applications for examples of budgets. In addition, describe the anticipated outcome or impact of the McKnight Residency and exhibition on your professional development.
- Artist statement – max 2 pages. This statement should provide background into your working process and work. Articulate your professional development as an artist, as well as your current artistic goals.
- Resume – max 5 pages. Your resume may optionally take the form of a list of 10 significant artistic experiences that have impacted your development as an artist.
- An image list that includes artist’s name, date of work, medium, and dimensions of work.
- 10 images of completed work